Pages - Menu

Jun 21, 2013

Short Messages and Big Records

0
After some time of almost exclusively dedicating myself to envelope decoration, I'm back to latent postcard craving. I really missed that lottery-like feeling of drawing new addresses, creating compact notes, fitting Bible-long Asian addresses into three printed lines, choosing the perfect image, licking that delicious glue off the stamps and having an excuse to try yet another handwritten font that never comes out as expected and leaves me biting my own hand in anger. 

Postcard writing is a special "alone moment" that I usually treat myself to at night, when I'm the only one awake and in no rush. It's usually the last activity before going to sleep for me, so when I finally get to writing I am so tired of being tired(!), worried, stressed or frustrated because of all that's happened during the day or that has been bothering me lately, that simply holding the pen and preparing the desk for writing instantly begins the therapeutic session. It's weird how being such an obsessive and nervous person I manage to switch to a kind and empathetic writer. I suddenly feel able to relate to what people tell about themselves on their numerous postcrossing accounts, I honestly feel like while I keep writing the postcard I possess the power to brighten their day and I feel proud, elated and engaged. The magic happens when you're not looking, and this is very true for postcard exchange. Penpaling is also very much enjoyable, but it's closer to the real life being a laborious, slow and obliging activity, and real life is what I try to keep off my postcard business.

Now, don't the messages on the postcards often seem lame, repetitive, boring and meaningless? Of course they are, and hooray for that. I don't attribute any more or less value to them as I would to a daily greeting of a neighbor. However, I always appreciate a "hello" and a smile from a stranger, and his/her tiny bit of attention may positively influence my mood, which is an effect of simple courtesy that transcends the moment, the people directly involved and the effort made. So I always try to be nice to strangers or better yet, I send them postcards! :)

I suppose I missed wishing someone a nice day and complimenting their haircut in the profile picture so much that yesterday I sat down and wrote 18 postcards in one go! This is my absolute record so far, but I suspect it may soon be beaten :) I was also glad to had stocked a solid variety of postcards and even bought some decent stamps that would hopefully be to the addressees' liking. I recently came back from a trip to Barcelona, and as it's visible in the photos, I felt like spreading my new-born love for the city through the postal system :)


I might as well now go and write a couple more... Would you like one, too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment