Pages - Menu

Sep 23, 2013

Lame Excuses and the Future of Swapping

0
Well, first of all, the excuses for not writing are going to be a lot less lame than the title has turned out to be. I can imagine the leader of The People's Republic of Mail Addicts give an ardent speech about the vague prospects of the nation's main energy source, the paper and pen usage. "United the mailboxes stand, divided they fall. With a pen in one hand and an envelope in another we must fight for...", and he doesn't get to finish, because by now it's already clear that I'm slightly off today... and most of the time, too. What happened, why have I been absent? Let me sum this up for you in one picture: 



So yes, I got burnt out and overwhelmed by all those pending posts and millions of photos waiting to be edited, and it being summertime didn't help at all. I went to Lithuania to visit my family and friends and I had a good enough time to not even remember swapping existed :) When I got back I had to work for a couple of weeks and endure tremendous heat. I sent out a few overdue postcards at that time with a million greasy fingerprints and half-melted stickers and decided that it wasn't the right time yet to get back to touching paper with my bare hands. Instead, my boyfriend and I went on a short trip to Andalusia (a brilliant idea considering we had to drive for 8 hours in 40 degrees with no air conditioning... Not the right time for that either, but YOLO I swear to never use this acronym again) and we had a blast! We visited Tarifa where the Mediterranean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean, Gibraltar, the strangest place in Europe I've been to, and the coastline around Cadiz where we bathed in the warm waves of the Atlantic and ate obnoxious amounts of fried fish, the delicacy of the region. 

But the most important thing that happened to me this summer is that I got accepted into uni! I am going to study Linguistics and Applied Languages (I chose German and Korean) at the Complutense University of Madrid. I could not be more excited about it, since it was my life-long dream. I really don't care I will be thirty+ when I graduate or that it is going to cost me a fortune in the long run. The diploma is not my objective, all I care about is that this is the right way for me to grow personally and professionally, it's something I want to treat myself to. I have a completely different attitude and expectations towards studying than when I was younger and seeking a degree in Philosophy at home, so my hopes for graduation are high. I am sure I will make the best of this experience, but it also implies being too busy to even get a good night's sleep. 3 hours of bus commute, 6 hours of classes and 4-5 hours of work every day means that I am going to have to get up at 6 AM every morning and I will finally get home at about 10 PM. GREAT... Plus I'll have to find the time to read and study on my own! Is there any premium week plan that I could pay for that provides you with extra hours or extra efficiency?

That being said, although the changes in my life are exciting and all, I have no idea what will become of my dear hobby of annoying the ladies at the post office with tons of outgoing mail... The post woman that usually brings me mail knows me by my name already and seems to be glad to get to carry something else than bills in her bag. It's a secluded area where I live, and I am pretty sure I am the only one who dedicates her free time to paper, scissors, glue and stamps around here. I really hope to find time and will power to continue, but the downsizing is inevitable. It has been a great year on swap-bot, with 113 swaps completed, over 150 official postcards sent on Postcrossing and virtually countless private exchanges made in different web-based communities. Postcards require little dedication, but mail art swaps in particular used to eliminate entire days from my life, so I think I might only be able to host and participate in the envelope art series that I myself started a while ago and about which I am writing a blog post at the moment.

So let's see what happens. One thing is certain, though. I really want to improve my blogging both in the quantity of entries submitted and the quality of pictures posted and comments made. I guess with less postal traffic it will be my only sweet fix during the long hours on the bus that await me.

"Life updates" is really not my thing, and since this blog is dedicated to only one specific activity of mine, I will do my best to hold myself back and not jabber about the latest e-reader unboxing videos that I've watched or what new Eurovision songs I've added to my "derp" folder on YouTube. Ahh, that's hard!

Take care!

P.S. My punctuation is from a planet of its own. Time to grab the Dora the Explorer backpack and head back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment